Atonement


Robbie Turner:  Dearest Cecilia, the story can resume. The one I had been planning on that evening walk. I can become again the man who once crossed the surrey park at dusk, in my best suit, swaggering on the promise of life. The man who, with the clarity of passion, made love to you in the library. The story can resume. I will return. Find you, love you, marry you and live without shame. 
This was the second time I watched the movie, but I couldn't finish it. I had exams the next day and had to get to bed early. Irony is I laid I awake the whole night thinking about it. I am not going to spoil the ending for anybody, all I'm saying is that its very sad and has a twist at the end. I'll never forgive that little brat! Gosh, am not making sense again?
The movie is absolutely brilliant. The script was fantastic, the  editing and filming even better. The acting? Lord knows I wouldn't have wished for any other couple to play the part of Cecilia (Keira Knightley) and Robbie (James McAvoy). 


There are two moments in the movie that I found have stuck with me. When Robbie is writing Cecilia his letter of apology. Here the camera work is wonderful, shooting a pretty and dramatic reflection of Cecilia as she stares in her mirror. These are of course only snippets, while Robbie is thinking about her, his reflection is also shot in the mirror. This moment is so dramatic and beautiful. It allows a visual insight into what their love must have been like.  

The second moment is where Robbie walks on the beach, where all the soldiers are, is technically brilliant. Only one camera follows him the whole time. One has to be sharp, or yo
u wouldn't spot how well everything is choreographed. The timing of everything is perfect! That's not the only thing that was so ultimately flawless; the lighting, the music and the sombre feeling of the whole scene. 

I loved it.
Atonement is a masterpiece. This movie should not be missed, not for any type of reason or excuse! Go, go now and watch it!




0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home